Monday, July 20, 2009

Reflections Upon a Sunday

Yesterday was another Sunday spent going to church with my parents. This week our regular pastor was out (his son had gotten married the day before) and so the guy taking his place led a rather interesting sermon. He played a clip from "Penn Says," a video blog by Penn (of Penn & Teller). Penn is a devout Atheist and is known for speaking his mind. The clip we watch was mild compared to most others. He talked about a man that approached him after a show and had nothing but good things to say. Penn says that the man seemed genuine and he gave Penn a Gideon Bible with an inscription to him in the front. Penn accepted it even though he knew that he believed nothing of what the Bible said. But what struck me is what he had to say about the whole situation.

He repeated said that this was a "really good guy." He appreciated that this man felt strongly enough about his own beliefs that he needed to share them. Penn says that if you know for certain that what the Bible says is true, then how much do you have to hate someone to not tell them. Like if you knew without a shadow of a doubt that someone you knew was going to be hit by a bus tomorrow, how much would you have to hate them to not warn them.

He has a good point. It doesn't change my views or beliefs, just as I'm sure it didn't change his, but it was just some good food for thought. I think that people could take that lesson and apply to all areas of life. If you know of something or someone that is causing another harm, how much do you have to hate them not to do anything? I think that's a call, not to Christians, but to people everywhere to do what's right and help those around them that are suffering, or hurting, or in want. How much do you have to hate the man who thirsts, to not give him a drink? How much do you have to hate the woman who is starving, to not give her something to eat? How much do you have to hate the child who is beaten, to not tell someone who can help?

No, this sermon won't turn me back to Christianity, but it will turn me back toward humanity. Back toward serving and helping others. So perhaps my attending church isn't a total loss, there are still important lessons that I can learn to apply in my own life. Lessons that will guide me down the path of my own making toward the Divine and the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment