Monday, June 15, 2009

Update on the "talk"

Well, they just left and it did go better than I thought. They did think that because I had a book like that that it meant I was practicing witchcraft. Which of course it's not, the fact that I do is completely beside the point. Anyway, I pretty much reassured them that I didn't believe anything in that book was real.

They did turn it into a question of my beliefs. They asked if I believed in God, and I said yes (but left out that I also believe in Goddess as well). Then they asked me flat out if I'm a Christian...that was a little difficult to work around. I told them that I'm not one to blindly follow a path that someone else says that I should. That I'm searching for the truth and that no one can know with absolute certainty what the truth is until they find out in death. I brought up other religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism...) and that they all believe theirs is the correct path and that maybe we are all wrong, but we can't know that. Even my dad said that if we lived in another part of the world that we may have practiced another religion.

So I think they have accepted that I'm searching for the right path. It's obvious that they aren't ready to know that I've found it in Paganism. So I'll remain in the "broom closet" a while longer. Right now I'm fine with them thinking that this is some kind of hobby or interest rather than my actual beliefs. I'm just glad to have this conversation over with. And as for the book, they have left it up to me whether I keep it or send it back (although I know they want me to send it back). I told them it's no different than collecting Star Wars memorabilia, so I think I'll keep it (but keep it hidden so they don't have to see it again).

No comments:

Post a Comment